, , , , , ,

At 6:00 in the morning Chris and I were at the doors of the hospital ready to have our baby.  I got my IV going with the drugs to start my labor around 8am.  My doctor came and broke my water at 9am.  Then it was hurry up and wait.  From the time my water was broken till about noon my labor worsened to a degree that I didn’t expect!!  Everyone tells you that labor is the worst pain and once you’ve felt the pain of labor you can pretty much tolerate any other pain.  They aren’t kidding!  It started out like period cramps and I recognized that right away and remembered some people telling me that’s all labor feels like.  Well, If that was it, then this was gonna be a cake walk!  No, it got WAY worse!  Soon the pain spread to include not just my lower belly (where I feel my period cramps), but to my groins, then to my hips and then to my lower back.  When it started moving down my legs, I gave up and asked for an epidural.  I started crying.  My husband just hugged me and said I had been a trooper long enough.  Then my nurse added “…no one’s gonna give you a medal, honey!  There’s no since in you putting yourself through all this when there’s a nice anesthesiologist right outside your door who would love to help you out!”.  I felt so defeated!  I really hoped I could make it through without an epidural.  But, I had experienced labor and all it’s glory, and I just couldn’t handle it anymore.  I thought I had a high pain tolerance.  No ma’am.  It’s not as high as I thought it was!

So, around noon, I got the epidural.  I immediately relaxed.  My nurse had been telling me over and over to relax.  It was gonna take that much longer for me to dilate because I wasn’t relaxing.  Well, I went from 3cm to 9cm dilated in a snap!  It was time!  A surge of panic came over me.  This is what we came here to do!  Let’s have this baby!  The baby was crowning before my doctor came in.  Oh, and I failed to mention, there was a circus in our room!  We had decided to donate her cord blood, so that team was standing by.  Also, a team from the NICU, her cardiologist and my cardiologist were near by.  Chris and I had the understanding the baby was going to be rushed right away to the NICU to get her on the monitors so they could see what was going on with her heart.  She was supposed to get an echocardiogram too.

I pushed for an hour and a half.  Felt like an eternity!!  And, all of a sudden, there she was.  My Adley!  It was an amazing feeling…to be a mom!  The nurses did take her and clean her up and do her apgar score.  That’s the fancy name for the baby’s first assessment.  Then my nurse brought her to me.  The hospital really tries to encourage skin to skin contact with your baby.  I immediately tried to breast feed her and she wasn’t latching.  So, the NICU team went ahead and took her, and Chris and I got situated in my recovery room.  It was a short walk to the NICU from the recovery room.  We would really appreciate that later!  I had to wait about 3 hours till I could go see her.  They wanted my epidural to ware off before I went, so I was supposed to use that time to “take a nap”.  Are you kidding?!?!  Yes, I was exhausted, but I was too excited to sleep!!  I wanted to be with my baby Adley!  Little did I know, however, it was gonna be a rough couple of days till we could all go home…